My husband made this a few weeks ago and now it’s become a very frequent dish in our home. It’s such a well-rounded, nutrient-dense meal on its own (lots of protein, fiber & healthy fats) and perfect as a side dish with sandwiches and soups. I think this is one of the healthiest and most delicious, easy recipes ever. Let me know if you give it a try!
Tuna & White Bean Salad
- 2 cans tuna (I like tuna in olive oil, but in water works too)
- 2 cans of cannellini beans
- 1/2 cup diced onion (optional)
- 2 stalks celery, leaves and all, chopped
- half cup extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1-2 lemons to taste (we put 2)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- sea salt & fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Drain cans of tuna and beans, combine in large bowl
- Add chopped veggies, olive oil, lemon juice, zest, and olive oil
- Add salt & pepper
- Mix well
I wasn’t really needing anything at the farmers market last night, but I spotted some rainbow chard so I had to stop. I’ve got it a few times this summer and it has just been so delicious every time. This bunch was no different. I simply sauteed it with a little olive oil, lots of chopped garlic, and a little sea salt then topped it off with a squeeze of fresh lemon – DELICIOUS. Granted I love vegetables, but this was especially tasty and of course, super healthy (see old post for specifics). Next week, I definitely need to buy two bunches at the very least!
How timely – just came across this recipe!
Prep and Cook Time: 25 minutes
6 cups yams, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
½ medium onion, cut in half and sliced thin
4 medium cloves garlic, chopped
1-½ TBS finely minced fresh ginger
½ tsp cinnamon
½ TBS honey
1 TBS + 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
salt and white pepper to taste
- Slice onions and chop garlic and let sit for 5 minutes to enhance their health-promoting properties.
- Cut yams into 1″ cubes.
- Heat 1 TBS broth in a 12-inch or larger stainless steel skillet.
- Sauté onion over medium heat for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and ginger and continue to sauté for another minute, stirring constantly.
- Add yams, cinnamon, honey, and 1 cup broth.
- Mix and simmer over low heat covered for about 15 minutes, or until yams are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper.