Here are several suggestions for how to cook a whole artichoke (just go to Basic Preparation under Recipes & Such – there’s even a video!)
I usually opt for steaming, using a steamer set like the one pictured below, and I let it cook for at least 45 minutes or until the leaves pull off easily.
So basically, I..
1. Rinse the artichoke under hot water
2. Fill the bottom pot with about 2 inches of water
3. Place the artichoke in the top part
4. Cover and let cook at a medium-high heat for about 40 minutes (or honestly, I don’t time it at all and I just see when the leaves pull off easily)
5. Remove it and let cool for a couple minutes
6. Eat every delicious leaf down the heart, at which point I remove the fuzzy bits and cut off the stem right at the base of the artichoke
*Sometimes I dip the leaves into a little bit of organic butter. Otherwise, you could use another dip of choice or no dip at all!
If you do not own pots like the ones below, you can also simply boil the artichoke (submerge it in cool water with a dash of sea salt, cover, and let it boil until leaves pull off easily). Hope that’s helpful!
Photo Credit: kitchencontraptions.com